Today is the last day of London Olympics and we at Optimax Software would like to extend this sport euphoria into coding. So we came up with the idea of organising an online coding challenge.
One of our interest areas is cloud based applications. So we decided to do a Cloud App Competition. But having so many cloud platforms around we needed to choose one so that participants have similar tools and environment.
After some discussion we decided on Google App Engine as it is provides a standard environment and even beginners can use it to build something simple in no time. As for the development language our choice is Java.
Last we had to decide on the task. To keep it focused we were looking for something interesting, practical and not too difficult, but with plenty of space for creativity. After lengthy discussions we came up with task to develop a website to showcase sayings and proverbs.
With all this said, finally we announce the Optimax Cloud Challenge open.
This is a great opportunity for you to showcase your cloud app development talent, and possibly win some pretty amazing prizes. First prize in the contest is amazing Google Nexus 7 tablet and there will be some more interesting prizes. Participants are required to develop and submit an original, App Engine application by August 31st. Our judges will then review the prototype submissions and select the winners. All entries will be evaluated on:
- Quality and Functionality
- HTML5 Technology and Web Standards Usage
- User Experience
Furthermore, to help those new to App Engine we along with GDG Baku (Google Developer Group Baku) will be hosting a seminar or rather a crash course on App Engine. We will invite all the registered participants to take part.
So hurry up and register.
For more details on how to enter and to see the detailed contest rules, read below.
Who is eligible?
The exact details are explained in the Terms, but here are some of the requirements that you have to meet at the time of registration:
- you need to be a student
- less than 23 years old
How can I register?
You can register for Optimax Cloud Challenge 2012 here. Registration opens on August 12, 2012 and ends on August 28, 2012.
What tools can I use?
You need to use Google App Engine Java to create and upload a working original application. To avoid unfair advantage to certain users using power features of specific language we decided to limit applications to Java only.
What do I need to do?
You are expected to write a web application to showcase proverbs and sayings. These are some of the possible features to add:
- a database of sayings. Some useful metadata to have would be language, author, category.
- screen to show the entries from the database
- user login (with OpenID, GITkit or Mozilla Persona)
- screens for registered users to add/edit their own sayings.
- a feature for registered users to star selected quotes.
- search for sayings by word, language, category, author.
Here are some more but less essential features to consider.
- list of most popular quotes
- a random qoute
I have a Question?
Please, visit competition's Google+ page for questions, discussions and further announcements.
Terms and Conditions
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
ENTRY IN THIS CONTEST CONSTITUTES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
The Optimax Software Cloud 2012 Challenge ("Contest") is a competition designed to engage future programmers from around the world in cloud programming. Prizes will be awarded to those contestants who have the most outstanding entry, as more fully discussed below.
- BINDING AGREEMENT. In order to enter the Contest, you must agree to these Terms and Conditions ("Terms"). Therefore, please read these Terms prior to entry to ensure you understand and agree. You agree that submission of an entry in the Contest constitutes agreement to these Terms. You may not submit an entry to the Contest and are not eligible to receive the prizes unless you agree to these Terms. These Terms form a binding legal agreement between you and OptiMax Software Ltd. ("OptiMax") with respect to the Contest.
ELIGIBILITY. This Contest is open to Participants need to university or school students who are 23 years of age or younger as of August 31, 2012.
Winners will be required to travel to Baku, Azerbaijan to present their project. Any finalist who is unable to obtain appropriate travel documents, such as a passport or visa, may be disqualified and an alternative finalist may be selected.
The Contest is void in areas where it is prohibited by law. Individuals and entities restricted by applicable export controls and sanctions programs are ineligible to participate in the Contest.
- OptiMax reserves the right to relax any of these restrictions if permitted by law before the start. Any duties and taxes (if applicable) are the sole responsibility of the recipients. OptiMax reserves the right to verify eligibility and to adjudicate on any dispute at any time. All contestants must have access to the Internet and a valid email address in order to enter.
- HOW TO ENTER. All contestants must register and provide the required information about themselves at the Contest Website, located at this link. Registration opens on August 12, 2012 and ends on August 28, 2012.
- As part of Registration, contestants will be required to provide information about themselves, such as their names and email addresses. Contestants may only register for Competition with one valid email address. Contestants competing with multiple email addresses will be disqualified.
- CONTEST STRUCTURE. In the event of technical difficulties which either prevent or make it manifestly unfair to run the contest in accordance with these Terms, OptiMax reserves the right in its sole discretion to make adjustments to the contest structure to compensate for such difficulties.
- ENVIRONMENT. Contestants have to use Java programming language On Google App Engine Platform, using any development environment or text editor.
- SUBMISSION. Participants need to submit both source code and a link to working App Engine application. Thus, a valid submission for a problem consists of the github code repository with solution's source code and the working App Engine application url. Submissions must be made by the 31st of August 2012.
- RIGHTS. By registering for this competition, contestant agrees that code submitted will be open sourced and freely available for usage by members of oepn source community. Best features from multiple participating projects can be brought together to come up with open source quotation/sayings search website.
- JUDGING AND SCORING. A panel of two or more judges consisting of employees of Optimax and/or its subsidiaries shall examine the source code and working application for all submissions of the contestant. The judges shall determine, in their sole discretion the winning entries.
- ANNOUNCEMENT OF WINNERS AND PRIZES. Contestants will be notified at least three days before the prize ceremony. Rankings will be announced on the competition's page.
- CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION. Prizes are awarded without warranty of any kind from Optimax, express or implied, without limitation, except where this would be contrary to federal, state, provincial, or local laws or regulations. All federal, state, provincial and local laws and regulations apply. Contestant's participation in this Contest means that contestant agrees to be bound by the terms of these Terms and by the decisions of Optimax, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. Any potential winner who cannot be contacted within 3 days of attempted first notification will forfeit his/her prize. Each contestant will retain ownership of and all intellectual and industrial property rights to his or her Contest submission; provided that, as a condition of participation, Contestants agree that OptiMax shall have a perpetual, irrevocable, world-wide, royalty-free right to use, copy, distribute, modify and make publicly available the submission in connection with the operation, conduct, administration, and advertising and promotion of the Contest. Contestants also agree that all submitted source code will be made available for anyone to view and download at the end of the contest. Contestants further grant a world-wide, royalty-free right to use, copy, and modify all submitted source code to members of the public after the Contest ends. Contestants agree and acknowledge that the downloading and running of any source code from the Contest is undertaken at the sole risk of the downloading contestant and not OptiMax or any other contestant.
- Acceptance of any prize constitutes permission for, and contestant's consent to, OptiMax and its agencies to use a contestant's name and/or likeness and submission for advertising and promotional purposes without compensation, unless prohibited by law. To the extent permitted by law, contestants agree to hold OptiMax, its subsidiaries and affiliates and their respective directors, officers, employees and assigns harmless for any injury or damage caused or claimed to be caused by participation in the Contest and/or use or acceptance of any prize won, except to the extent that any death or personal injury is caused by the negligence of OptiMax. OptiMax will not be liable in the event a typographical or other error occurs in the administration of the Contest or the announcement of the winners.
- DATA PRIVACY. Contestants agree that personal data entered during the registration, including name, mailing address, phone number, and email address may be processed, stored, and otherwise used for the purposes and within the context of the Contest.
WARRANTY AND INDEMNITY. Contestants certify that their submission is original and that they are the sole and exclusive owner and right holder of the submission and that they have the right to enter the Contest. Each contestant certifies that all parts of his/her code, compilers and other binaries used in the processing of inputs into outputs are either original, or are licensed for use by both OptiMax and all contestants in a way that does not: (1) infringe any third party proprietary, intellectual property, industrial property, personal rights or other rights, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or confidentiality obligation; or (2) make use of ideas, hints or solutions for the Contest presented, other than by OptiMax, for the first time after the start of the Contest in any form, including without limitation from other individuals, contestants, websites, listservs or blogs; or (3) otherwise violate applicable laws and regulations.
To the maximum extent permitted by law, each contestant indemnifies and agrees to keep indemnified OptiMax at all times from and against any liability, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs and expenses resulting from any act, default or omission of the contestant and/or a breach of any warranty set forth herein. To the maximum extent permitted by law, each contestant agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless OptiMax from and against any and all claims, actions, suits or proceedings, as well as any and all losses, liabilities, damages, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorneys fees) arising out of or accruing from (a) any entry or other material uploaded or otherwise provided by the contestant that infringes any copyright, trademark, trade secret, trade dress, patent or other intellectual property right of any person or defames any person or violates their rights of publicity or privacy, (b) any misrepresentation made by the contestant in connection with the Contest; (c) any non-compliance by the contestant with these Terms; (d) claims brought by persons or entities other than the parties to these Terms arising from or related to the contestant's involvement with the Contest; (e) acceptance, possession, misuse or use of any prize or participation in any Contest-related activity or participation in this Contest; (f) any malfunction or other problem with the Contest Site; (g) any error in the collection, processing, or retention of entry information; or (h) any typographical or other error in the printing, offering or announcement of any prize or winners.
ELIMINATION. A contestant may be prohibited from participating in this Contest if, in OptiMax sole discretion, OptiMax reasonably believes that the contestant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by:
- Providing false information concerning his/her identity, postal address, mail address or telephone number;
- Breaching any of the provisions set forth in these Terms;
- Threatening, harassing or interfering with the ability of other contestants to effectively participate in the Contest;
- Threatening, harassing or interfering with OptiMax administrators or other employees;
- Communicating or publishing information concerning the content of the problems, or solutions to the problems, with other contestants, either directly or indirectly, before the end of the Round; or
- Refusing to comply with these Terms.
Claims or concerns about suspicious activity or cheating in any Round must be delivered to the Contest administrator within 48 hours after the end of that Round. If Optimax suspects cheating or violation of the Terms by any contestant, Optimax will in its sole discretion research such claims and take the appropriate action. All decisions of Optimax in these matters are final and binding.
- INTERNET. OptiMax is not responsible for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, or delay in operations or transmission. OptiMax is not responsible for theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of submission materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind. OptiMax is not responsible for inaccurate transmissions of or Optimax's failure to receive Contestant's output information on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site or any combination thereof, except to the extent that any death or personal injury is caused by the negligence of Optimax.
- OTHER ERRORS. If for any reason a portion of the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, any error on the part of OptiMax in preparing the problems, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, Optimax reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. For example, in such an eventuality Optimax may choose to alter the round structure of the contest, for example by adding an extra round or repurposing an existing round. Optimax reserves the right to select winners from eligible submissions received as of the termination date. OptiMax further reserves the right to disqualify any individual who tampers with the submission process.
- NOT AN OFFER OR CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT. Under no circumstances shall the submission of an entry into the Contest, the awarding of a prize, or anything in these Terms be construed as an offer or contract of employment with OptiMax. You acknowledge that you have submitted your entry voluntarily and not in confidence or in trust. You acknowledge that no confidential, fiduciary, agency or other relationship or implied-in-fact contract now exists between you and Optimax and that no such relationship is established by your submission of an entry under these Terms.
- NO RECOURSE TO JUDICIAL OR OTHER PROCEDURES. To the extent permitted by law, the rights to litigate, to seek injunctive relief or to make any other recourse to judicial or any other procedure in case of disputes or claims resulting from or in connection with this Contest are hereby excluded, and any contestant expressly waives any and all such rights. Contestants further agree that OptiMax will not be liable for any errors, ambiguities or other inaccuracies caused by OptiMax in the design, execution, judging or other aspects of the Contest.
- INVALIDITY. If any provision(s) of these Terms are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect.
- WINNERS' LIST. For the winners' names, go to after the Contest closes.
- SPONSOR. The Sponsor of this Contest is Optimax Software Ltd